Articles Comments

Debt Relief – Insolvency – Bankruptcy Information » Bankruptcy Help » How would my husband file a claim for wages against his employer that claimed bankruptcy?

How would my husband file a claim for wages against his employer that claimed bankruptcy?

I am not sure who to call or how we would file a claim for wages. My husband was laid off due to the company claiming bankruptcy. The labor board was not much help. What’s steps do we need to take in North Carolina to get this taken care of?

Thank you so much for your help!


  1. how can i claim my final salary from bankrupt employer? i worked as deputy manager for a small fine dining restaurant. my employer was forced into insolvency by creditors in...

  2. How do I get my title for a vehicle I claim in bankruptcy? I recently filed bankruptcy, claimed most items as write offs and only reaffirmed on the items I knew would be...

  3. Do I have to claim a Chapter 7 bankruptcy as income on my tax return? I had to file Chapter 7 in 2007. Most of the percentage of what I filed was penalties on credit...

  4. Will Filing Bankruptcy Help with Garnished Wages? If you’re facing a wage garnishment, it’s probably a pretty good sign that you’re in need of some debt relief....

  5. How can I find and claim surplus from foreclosure w/o an attorney? My house was foreclosed on. There was a surplus of money left over from the auction. Supposedly this money is...

Written by

Filed under: Bankruptcy Help · Tags: , , , , , , , ,

4 Responses to "How would my husband file a claim for wages against his employer that claimed bankruptcy?"

  1. r b says:
    Depending on the type of bankruptcy that the business is filing the workers might be the last people to get their money if they can money at all. The creditors and any suppliers that have money claims are usually paid first.
  2. Lisa A says:
    Follow up with the DOL. Employees owed wages are first in line for funds, not last.
  3. Shane says:
    Contact the Department of Labors wage & hour division to file a complaint at 1-866-4US-WAGE. They will also refer you to your home states department to begin the process. Bankruptcy does NOT relinquish him of his obligation to pay his employees owed wages.
  4. michr says:
    as noted by others the department of labor can take a wage claim,to do so just click this link:
    the problem is (as i was taught years ago)
    “you can’t get blood from a turnip”

    being owed wages, winning a judgment, being part of the creditor list in reorganization do you no good if the employer does not have the liquid assets available to pay you out of. no cash on hand, no pay.

Leave a Reply

Connect with Facebook


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Not finding what you're looking for?
Do a custom search of our entire site:

Get Adobe Flash player