Articles Comments

Debt Relief – Insolvency – Bankruptcy Information » Bankruptcy Law » What do I do if my bankruptcy attorney makes a mistake?

What do I do if my bankruptcy attorney makes a mistake?

My attorney filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy. He thought I could have $20.000 in equity. But, I can only have $9.000 in equity. He has admitted he made a mistake but it could cost me my home. What can I do? He is asking me to let him work it out but my friends say I need to hire a different attorney.


  1. Income, Expenses, And Exemptions: Ways that A Personal Bankruptcy Attorney Can Support In case you are having financial difficulties a bankruptcy attorney can usually assist. Bankruptcy provides a new monetary start for...

  2. Filing Bankruptcy Without An Attorney Do I need a lawyer to file bankruptcy? The short answer is “no.” But filing your own bankruptcy can be...

  3. How many years of school is needed to become a bankruptcy attorney? Do you need to be an attorney to represnet people for bankruptcy? ...

  4. How much should a bankruptcy attorney cost me in San Diego? I am needing to file a Chapter 7 bk soon. I am wondering how much money I am going to...

  5. How to find a decent Bankruptcy attorney? How does one go about finding a decent Bankruptcy Attorney? And by decent, I mean one that doesn’t charge a...

Written by

Filed under: Bankruptcy Law · Tags: , , ,

4 Responses to "What do I do if my bankruptcy attorney makes a mistake?"

  1. ednolb says:
    you need to discuss options with your attorney and talk to a second one to find out what options you really have available to you. Chapter 13 is more the BK to file when you have assets to protect not Chapter 7
  2. CLR says:
    You definitely need to hire a new attorney. You also should have the new attorney prepare a motion for sanctions and damages against the old attorney to recover your attorneys fees that you’ve paid him. This is obviously a cause of malpractice and this is why attorneys have insurance. Good Luck!
  3. googie says:
    You paid him. Let him work it out. If he screws up again,report him to the local bar association stating that he is incompetent.
  4. Wee_Willie_Winkie says:
    He/she can amend the filing…. simply have him/her do it.. on THEIR nickel….

Leave a Reply

Connect with Facebook


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Not finding what you're looking for?
Do a custom search of our entire site:

Get Adobe Flash player